A list of things you should, and shouldn't do:
- Date a lot of people while you are young, don't waste your time on long, serious relationships. Have fun. Keep things light, and classy. There will be so much time for serious relationships later. Enjoy your girlfriends.
- Spend the money you make working at Baskin Robbins (in my case) or wherever on whatever you want. Buy shoes and makeup. Go out for $12 burgers with your friends. It doesn't matter. You should know the pleasure of working hard for your money and be able to spend it on whatever you wish. But save some. It wouldn't hurt to save a percentage for later. You'll thank yourself at some point starting college with a nice little savings account.
- Don't ever diet. Promise me you won't. I want to see you eating and enjoying food. Eat apple pie every Sunday night if you must, but don't go overboard during the week. Or do go overboard sometimes, but don't feel bad about yourself for doing so. Just pick up your bike and ride to the library.
- Run into the ocean fully clothed at sunset. Do it. Your mother has on several occasions.
- Be a good friend. I really mean this. You'll have to learn how to care about other women in a real and genuine way. It is the greatest gift you can give yourself. Your women friends will protect and care for you at the weary times in your life, and they will delight in your accomplishments. Together you will laugh and cry.
- You will be different and weird and funny and cool. Don't compare yourself to others. You are unique. You are perfect.
- Success is not defined by the job you obtain or the accolades you receive, it isn't the amount of money you make or the places you've been. Success is doing what makes you happy. It's loving yourself just as you are and being a kind and thoughtful citizen of the earth.
- See the world. Don't be afraid. Even if I protest that you are too young or it is too dangerous you must go. Off you go.....
Perhaps we'll go together.